Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A day with three sick kids, four and under...

For the last five days, the three little ones have been sick. I have stayed with them most of the time, as Leonard is very busy at work.
Thank God I have wonderful co-workers, who will cover for me...so I don't have to worry about school.
I have been just treating the symptoms that they are showing, as you know the typical answer you get from the doctor..."It is just a virus, it has to run its course." UUGGH, I hate that answer. Not that I want my children to really have anything, I just want something for them. Give me a sugar pill if nothing else.
Anyway...after almost a week, (Yes I am going to get the mom of the year award...) Kylie and John have double ear infections and Kaycee just has the crud...apparently she cannot get ear infections as she has no ears. At least that is one positive with her SN.
So before the doctor appointment, Kaycee's teacher of the deaf came out to work with Kaycee. But today was a little different.
She was going to videotape me working with Kaycee. To see how much language she has so we can do it again in about a year and see how much she has changed. In addition, the tape will be given to some people (I have no idea who) so they can critique her language.
Anyone ever been video taped working with your child, so you can be critiqued? It really was not very fun...
We started off pretty well. Kaycee sat on my lap and we read a book. Then looked at another book with a lot of pictures in it. She labeled everything in the book that she knew.
(Remember, Kaycee is 2) then that was enough of the book. It was also enough of the language stuff too. She wanted to color and write - which required no talking. Nothing.
Meanwhile, Kylie and John were feeling neglected, I guess, because all of a sudden, they were everywhere! Kaycee had migrated into the eating area of our kitchen. Our eating area has a two story wall and the hallway upstairs looks down into the eating area.

THUNK!! Here comes John's firetruck from upstairs, straight down onto ceramic tile in the eating area. Pieces everywhere. Meanwhile, the video tape is still going...I guess if there is one good thing, at least it wasn't John coming down like the firetruck.
I hope I can get a copy of the video tape so I can show it to John when he is a dad.
___________________________________________________________________
A side note...Have you ever heard that a child is supposed to be half their adult height by the time they are 3? Well, anyway, I have...John is three...John is 3 feet, 3 3/4 inches tall. Could he really be 6'7 1/2" when he is an adult? His daddy is 6'5", so I guess it is a possibilty...Good grief, we are going to have take out a home equity loan just to feed him......

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope your kids feel better soon. Our little one was sick just last week and it was tough. Our son (14 now) was 39" at two years old. The doctor told me that he will be well over 6 feet when he is an adult. Yes- feeding him requires a home equity loan sometimes.

Feel better soon.
Tamara

Tami said...

That's yucky about the kids feeling so sickly, but hilarious about the firetruck! I can just imagine John dumping the truck over the side. (Sorry...it's funny. At least I'm not laughing in front of him! :)
As far as the home equity loan...join the club. Q-ball has suddenly developed a bottomleess stomach. You have two older boys...where does all that food go?!)