Thursday, October 23, 2008

An update after the meeting

I have waited for a while to post about the meeting, because I needed to take it all in.

Kaycee started preschool, just not where I had originally wanted her. She is currently in the preschool here in our little school. She is there two days a week, from 8 to 11:45. From 8 to 11:15, she has a full time TOD with her.

That is wonderful. Her TOD is a wonderful, loving, hard of hearing teacher, who really likes Kaycee. And Kaycee really took to her too.

Its nice to be able to have Kaycee in the same building as me. And she is in the same classroom as my oldest daughter, Kylie. Kylie just stays all day.

Her 20 minutes of speech she gets a week is with a very gifted SLP who really likes Kaycee too. I like it...I really do.

All of Kaycee's teachers get to look like Hannah Montana because they get to wear the FM system headset. It is kind of the new, cool thing in our building.

All of the teachers have their own name signs, all of the students are going to get their own name signs.

Our music teacher is wonderful and is teaching all of the kids some of the music songs in sign language.

Some of the other kids in the school (remember, we are a prek - 12 school) are very interested in sign language and try to sign with Kaycee. It is all very touching. I am so lucky to be in a school who really does care, and one that so openly accepts my child and all that she comes with.

I have a couple of concerns still: Kaycee is 3, she is in a mixed preschool and kindergarten classroom. She is VERY YOUNG!!!

She is sharing the room with Kylie. Even though they are on very different levels, they are still sharing. (Granted, they will need to get used to this as they get bigger. My four youngest children will all be within 24 months of each other.)

There are other concerns but I am trying to keep my chin up and think very positively about this placement. She is in school, she is happy and she is learning.

For example, for the last year, I have been doing the sign for "red" wrong, and Kaycee told me about it. She grabbed my hands and showed me the right way. :) Gotta love it!!!!

1 comment:

Tami said...

I'm glad you're finding some peace with Kaycee's placement. I know it hasn't been easy for you, but I also know, you know, all things work together for good. ;)
And HEY! You learned something new. It makes me feel so much better to know you mess up on your signs too! :)
BTW - I'm anxious to have Maddie show you her latest memory verse. It is too cute to have her signing, although I have a secret fear one of these days I'll find out she's been swearing with the movements we learned for John 3:16. ;)