Sunday, May 11, 2008

Two part post about mother's day...

Part 1:

I am a mom, through and through.

I am excited when my child goes potty on the potty, when they can write their names for the first time.

I am excited (and a little sad) when my oldest talks about graduation and going into the military in less then 3 years.

I have watched my two oldest become young men, while I wish my youngest would let us sleep in on Saturday mornings past 6:00.

We watch Dora and NiHo Kai-lan with our 2, 3, and 4 year olds and work on Algebra, US History and watch the X-Files with our 13 and 15 year olds.

However, on Friday, it struck me and it didn't feel very good. NBC with Teleflora decided to have a "mom contest." To make a really long story short, they had some definitions of different kinds of moms. Like military moms, etc. One of the categories was "non mom." Under this title, was the definition: adoptive moms.

HHmm, how sad that some people in society view motherhood only as giving birth. A mom can only be a "real" mom if she has gone through the physical act of bringing a child into this world. How incredible. Apparently, these people have never known anyone who has gone through everything it takes to adopt a child. Are their children "non children?"

I look at Kaycee, she is my daughter, through and through. We have a lot in common. We are the only ones in our family who like tomatoes. We are the only ones who like broccoli. She loves to have her back and feet rubbed, just like I do. (I am getting off topic here...)

It really made me mad and it was very offensive. I cannot imagine how moms felt who have built their families purely by adoption. I would be very upset...

At least though, after they were bombarded with emails and phone calls, the company changed the title to "adoptive mom." Which in its own way is still offensive. What about just "mom." Why do they have to be different and singled out?

Part 2:

Its Mother's Day today. And while yes, we have celebrated it here (I got to do some laundry this afternoon) I think about Kaycee and Noah's birth moms.

What are they doing today? There are 52 countries in the world that celebrate Mother's Day - I admit, I am not sure that China is one, however, it is a day when I must think about those two women.

When they are both a little older, maybe next year, I am going to start a tradition for their birth moms. Maybe we will plant flowers, or take some plants to a nursing home, plant a tree, go to the mountains, something, anything that will help both of them remember the sacrifices their moms went through.

But I do have to say to both of them, thank you. Thank you for giving me the gifts of your child. Thank you for letting me raise them, love them, and hold them. Thank you for giving birth to them. You will always be their first mom.

No comments: