Saturday, December 15, 2007

Millions and millions of calories!

Today is the day. It is the day that millions, (I am sure I am not making this up) and millions of calories are constructed in my house.

It started my first year as a teacher. I was the FBLA sponsor and we were trying to find a fundraiser around Christmas time.

One of the students said, how about making fudge?

I was completely for it...why not? How hard could that be? Maybe about 20 pounds and all would be good.

They started selling the fudge - all 25 of them. Some selling 10 pounds, some 20, some not so much. Orders were due Wednesday, so I could go get the ingredients and make it over the weekend.

The orders came in - all 390 pounds of it. Yes almost 400 pounds of fudge.

I almost cried, really I did.

I left a little early from school that day and went to the store. I got some chocolate chips, some sugar, and little bit of the other ingredients.

And started making the fudge.

I really had no idea how much almost 400 pounds of fudge would be.

I worked about 12 hours on Saturday and almost another 6 hours on Sunday. My mom helped or else it would have been even longer.

It was amazing.

I made fudge for the next three years, with the kid selling about the same amount each year. I had it down to a science.

Then I told the kids...I can't do this again. I am very tired of it.

Then...my son started fundraising with his class of 10 for their senior trip.

The idea of fudge came back.

Last year it was about 150 pounds, this year it is around 175 pounds. Not so much really, when you compare it to the first year.

No problem...a mom would do anything for their children - right?

No comments: